Posted on: January 11, 2021 • Category: Machinist, Manufacturing
No. of Jobs: 2
Job Type: Full-Time
Pay Type: Hourly
Education: High School
Phone 1: 605-665-9311
Visit Kolberg-Pioneer Online
700 W. 21st. Street
Yankton, Yankton, SD 57078
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED) preferred.
- Relevant trade school or college course work desired.
- Blueprint reading skills desired.
- Heavy equipment manufacturing experience desired.
- Computer experience desired, particularly the ability to use a mouse, and locate and open/close files.
- Must successfully complete pre-employment drug screen, physical, and background check, and random drug and/or alcohol screenings throughout employment.
- Must be dependable, dedicated to completing work assignments correctly, and use time wisely.
- Adept at problem-solving. Adaptable to new situations and challenges. Open to changes and new ideas.
- Ability to satisfactorily work alone with reasonable and appropriate instructions, training, and supervision, and ability to work with others respectfully and professionally in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate clearly and completely, expressing needs, and asking questions.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out detailed and uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to handle the stress that accompanies production standards and deadlines.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism and make subsequent adjustments, and willingness to rework incorrect tasks completed by oneself or others.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continually required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to communicate and exchange accurate information. The employee frequently is required to walk; stand; sit; use foot/feet; use hand/foot controls; use both hands to finger, handle, feel, grip, or drive; use fine finger ability; use wrist motion; reach above/below shoulders; carry with hands and arms; step up/down, climb or balance; and bend/stoop, twist, squat/crouch, kneel, or crawl. The employee occasionally will work outside the facility, encounter uneven or slippery surfaces, or work in wet conditions. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus, and hand-eye coordination. Primary work assignment will require employees to frequently push/pull/lift from the floor to the table, and lift from table to shoulder level, up to 45 pounds. Employees may occasionally push/pull/lift below or above shoulder level greater than 45 pounds if they are physically able to safely do it. Employees are encouraged to use caution at all times when pushing/pulling/lifting. Please consider the size, shape, weight of the object to be pushed/pulled/lifted, the path and the distance you must travel along with your own physical ability. If necessary, please seek assistance with pushing/pulling/lifting tasks. Employees should never lift more than they are physically able to handle safely.
DEPARTMENT: CRUSHING/SCREENING, TRACKS, WASHING, AND HEAVY WELDING
Under the direction and supervision of the Department Production Supervisor and in cooperation with the Team Leader, perform a variety of tasks to correctly fabricate raw steel and metal parts and pieces per specifications in the production process of heavy and large mechanical products, per specifications and in accordance with the production schedule, making independent decisions with minimal direct supervision given appropriate instructions.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Perform the following functions necessary to operate and maintain the Press Brake, Big Roll Machine, Drill Press, Threader, Beveler, Saw, and other related metal fabrication machines which include:
- Prepare work to be accomplished by studying assembly instructions, blueprint specifications, and parts lists; gathering parts, subassemblies, tools, and materials.
- Layout or details layout on work stock from blueprints or sketch.
- Set up and operate machine to bend or roll steel to blueprint or other document specifications.
- Position workpiece manually or with hoist into position for processing.
- Inspect pieces for conformance with specifications.
- Fulfill job requirements according to KPI quality standards determined for the position and work tasks, including incoming and outgoing quality checks, and other quality inspections as required.
- Adjust and monitor machine for proper operation.
- Adjust and control operation of saw according to type of material cut.
- Replace blades, do daily checks & maintenance as required.
- Cut material ordered on dispatch list, material issue note, or verbal orders.
- Cut parts to print, including all cutbacks, angle & cope as shown on drawings.
- Request material from Yard Crew, by part number & description on material requisition form. Periodically bring material into the Plant from the yard.
- May require unloading steel truck and putting steel in racks with overhead hoist.
- Complete material issue notes from work order packet.
- Through proper planning and accurate measurements, limit scrap to a minimum.
- Complete material cycle counts for all drop off steel the first work day of each month.
- Inform Supervisor of shortages or anticipated shortages of stock materials.
- Clean saw & work area at the end of each shift.
- Operate forklift and/or hoist in transporting materials.
- Use a computer mouse to access and open/close computer documents.
- Operate or use various hand, power, and air tools including grinders (portable & bench), wrenches, hammer, cutting torches, drills, punches, a tape measure, and Air Arc (if welding). Also operate or use forklifts, and overhead hoists and cranes with associated rigging equipment.
- Maintain and use personal protective equipment and other safety supplies and equipment per OSHA and Company requirements.
- Perform data entry in Company’s ERP software.
- Complete work tasks as necessary to meet safety, productivity, and quality specification. Perform work to the utmost of one self’s ability at all times. Continuously strive to improve one self’s work related skills, efficiency, and the quality of output.
- Fulfill work requirements according to Company quality standards determined for the assigned work tasks, including incoming and outgoing quality checks, and other quality inspections as required. Document actions by completing production and quality forms.
- Verify specifications by measuring completed component.
- Use Company property with care and respect, help maintain it in good working condition, and retain it on Company premises.
- Perform work to the utmost of one self’s ability at all times. Continuously strive to improve your skills, efficiency, and the quality of your work.
- Projects positive Company image by interacting with fellow employees, customers, and management in a cooperative, supportive, and courteous manner; displays professional attitude; complies with Company dress code.
- Conduct quality control checks to ensure components and finished product operate correctly. Document actions by completing production and quality forms.
- Keep tools and equipment operational by completing preventive maintenance; follow manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshoot malfunctions; call for repairs, and complete the daily check sheets.
- Conserve Company resources by using time, equipment, and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Participate in production process and/or product development or improvement programs, teams, and focus groups.
- Maintain a safe, organized, and clean working environment following the Company’s 5S guidelines and Hazardous Waste Management Programs.
- Responsible for proper handling, arrangement, and storage of materials in assigned areas.
- Perform or assist in other assigned duties as qualified. All duties are performed in compliance with Company policies relating to safety and housekeeping.
Essential Functions of the Job (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Perform work standing on concrete a minimum of 8 hours and up to 12 hours per day, and a minimum of 4 days up to 6 days per week.
- Willingness to train or work during hours outside of regularly-scheduled core shift.
- Flexibility to work additional hours beyond and/or consecutively with core work schedule when needed.
- Willingness to cross-train and perform the work of other job tasks or positions in the Company outside of or in addition to primarily-assigned position, work area, or department.
- Willingness to assist with training and mentoring lesser-experienced co-workers.
- Regular and reliable attendance for work, appearing on time for each scheduled work day and working all the scheduled work hours.
- Perform work safely in accordance with all Company safety policies, procedures, and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements.
- Perform work in various physical positions including standing, kneeling, squatting, bending, and reaching (temporary variances may be accommodated based on employee’s primary assignment).
- Perform work in heavy industrial setting with exposure to heat, cold, and humidity, industrial odors, fumes, gasses, chemicals, oil, grease, smoke, dust, loud noise (hearing protection providing and required), and vibration. Work involves climbing ladders and stairs, movement of heavy objects, using pneumatic tools, working with moving machinery and equipment, working near moving mechanical parts, working in cramped quarters, and working above floor level which could include high, precarious places. There is risk of electrical shock associated with this job.
- Ability to wear the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required for this position, including hearing protection, safety glasses, safety boots with metatarsal guards, face shield, and a cloth jacket and/or apron. A respirator may also be required. Dual-hearing protection may also be required.
- Ability to use and read a tape measure correctly. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to understand and read blueprints and/or other printed instructional materials for guidance and specifications in order to assemble products or parts in a correct and efficient manner.
- Ability to use a variety of hand tools and devices.
- Ability to wear the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) required for this position, including hearing protection, safety glasses, safety boots with metatarsal guards, and face shield. A respirator may also be required. Fall protection may also be required.
- Ability to apply common sense.
- Must complete and maintain forklift operation certification and be able to safely operate a forklift when necessary.
Additional Qualifications with Appropriate and Reasonable Training Time:
Machine Operator Wage Group 2 (entry-level): Successfully fulfills all the primary duties and responsibilities in conjunction with the essential qualifications and physical demands listed above. Able to read and understand work orders and bills of material. Able to read a tape measure to 1/16 of an inch. Able to operate overhead hoists safely.
Machine Operator Wage Group 3: Successfully fulfills all the requirements for Wage Group 2, plus the ability to successfully manipulate and edit CNC programs when necessary. Must be capable of adjusting the machines for different materials and thicknesses. Must be able to monitor consumable life and determine when they need replacement. Must be able to diagnose quality problems with the part and make corrections. Must be able to perform operator maintenance on the machine. Fully operates more than one CNC machine