Posted on: November 15, 2019 • Category: Therapeutic recreation - Activities
Therapeutic Recreation Specialist
Human Services Center
No. of Jobs: 1
Job Type: Full-Time
Pay Type: Hourly
Compensation: $17.13 per hour plus shift pay and weekend pay
Education: Bachelor's Degree
Phone 1: 605-668-3100
Visit Department of Human Services
Human Services Center
3515 Broadway Ave
Yankton, Yankton, SD 57078
Licenses and Certifications:
Possession or ability to obtain lifeguard certification is preferred.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Preference will be given to applicants who have a bachelors degree in therapeutic recreation or related healthcare field and experience working with clients who have mental illnesses or disabilities and experience leading or assisting with group activities or events.
- mental illness and treatment techniques;
- principles of human development;
- assessment and documentation methods;
- therapeutic process and facilitation;
- treatment planning;
- principles of adolescent development;
- leisure skills;
- computer applications;
- basic physical fitness techniques.
- plan, organize and facilitate, therapeutic recreation groups to address patients' social, emotional, physical, cognitive and spiritual needs related to maintaining quality of life;
- work collaboratively with treatment team and add therapeutic recreation input & recommendations;
- attend all required therapeutic recreation events, meetings and trainings;
- mange time effectively;
- observe and understand adolescent behavior;
- participate in outings with patients;
- encourage appropriate behaviors among adolescents;
- be empathetic;
- assist in other areas of the hospital when needed;
- be a positive role model;
- be creative;
- participate in physical activity groups that may include working in a weight room, swimming, running, jumping, bending, lifting, and staying physically active;
- obtain lifeguard certification;
- effectively communicate to Therapeutic Recreation Coordinator and/or supervisor of any problems, questions, or concerns.
This position provides therapeutic recreation to patients on three adolescent treatment care units. The schedule for this position will be a combination of day/evening hours, with holiday and weekend rotation, but may vary according to needs of facility.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment. Successful applicant(s) will undergo an abuse and neglect screening. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of a drug screening.
NCRC: If you possess a National Career Readiness Certificate, please submit the certificate with your application. For more information on how to acquire a National Career Readiness Certificate contact a South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Job Service Office. A certificate is not necessary to be considered.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers paid employee health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation leave accrual, and medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. For more information please visit https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Apply at: http://tinyurl.com/y3j5jfln
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
500 East Capitol
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"