Posted on: May 01, 2021 • Category: Buyer - Manufacturing
No. of Jobs: 1
Job Type: Full-Time
Pay Type: Hourly
Education: Bachelor's Degree
Phone 1: 605-668-2406
Visit Us Online
900 Ferdig Avenue
Yankton, Yankton, SD 57078
- BA/BS degree in Business or Economics preferred and/or extensive buying and negotiating experience in lieu of degree.
- Five to seven years of progressive experience in purchasing practices and procedures.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Highly organized, detail orientated with good problem solving skills.
- Ability to work well with other departments to accomplish necessary goals within the company.
- Ability to learn and respond creatively to situations.
- Ability to remain calm in high pressure situations.
- Experience in the principals of lean manufacturing preferred.
- Experience and evident skill in negotiating business and/or purchasing contracts.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing, i.e., machining, fabrication, and assembly operations.
- Maintenance of professional skills and knowledge through personal development efforts; i.e., CPM/CPIM certification study, seminars, and reading.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite)
- Requires working in an office environment, will be seated in a posture position.
- Will utilize a computer terminal for periods of time, and phone use using a handset or headset.
- Required to visit external supplies on an as needed basis to resolve issues.
- Required to work flexible hours as required to support production operations
This position will establish and maintain effective and ethical business relations with suppliers for all classes and types of materials, supplies, services, and equipment required by Manitou Group in order to ensure on-time delivery of goods and services meeting all quality requirements at the best possible total cost.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Locate suppliers capable of supplying needed materials, supplies, services, and equipment that satisfy quality, price, and delivery requirements.
- Evaluate current and prospective suppliers in terms of quality, price, reliability, on-time delivery, and total cost.
- Develop reliable sources of supply, minimize total costs of purchased goods, and simplify purchasing operations by establishing and managing annual purchase agreements.
- Negotiate terms of annual purchase agreements, standard purchase orders, and other contracts to achieve the best mix of quality, price, discounts, and other costs.
- Analyze specifications, functional requirements, and vendor capabilities in order to assure that minimum costs are achieved.
- Maintain effective verbal and written communications with Engineering, manufacturing, Quality Control, Traffic Sales, and all other departments in order to perform primary responsibilities.
- Co-ordinate emergency actions by suppliers and all other parties to prevent and/or mitigate damage caused by delayed shipments, quality problems, changes in specifications, cancellations, etc.
- Initiate routine documentation and transactions for procurement of goods and services in accordance with approved procedures and management directions.
- Conduct required correspondence with vendors to obtain quotations, expedite deliveries, monitor status of vendor activities, effect cancellations, and change purchase orders.
- Direct the activities of clerical personnel performing direct purchasing support functions.
- Develop and prepare reports on a periodic and “as needed” basis to reflect the status and performance level of purchasing activities, vendor progress, and other assigned activities.
- Perform on-going analysis of purchasing procedures to simplify operations of purchasing and suppliers.