Posted on: February 01, 2021 • Category: Health Care - Social Worker
Psychiatric Social Worker
Human Services Center
Licenses and Certifications:
Successful candidate must be eligible to be certified as a Qualified Mental Health Professional (QMHP) per SDCL 27A-1-3.
This position assesses and provides direct social services to meet the needs of adult patients in an inpatient psychiatric setting by serving as a primary formal link between patient, families and/or guardians, institution, community based private and public resources and provides a combination of individual, group and family counseling. This position oversees training of staff and effectiveness of treatment.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- completing petitions for and testifying at mental health hearings;
- social and psychological assessments and treatment techniques;
- ethical standards, principles, and practices of social work, counseling, and human behavior;
- human growth and development and their relationship to social work principles and methods;
- current social, economic, and health trends and services, and the ability to adapt trends to practical program applications and link patients with services needed;
- interviewing and other information gathering techniques;
- state mental health practices and procedures;
- developmental disabilities;
- severe and persistent mental illness;
- principles of basic human behavior across the lifespan;
- therapeutic communication skills;
- Non-violent Crisis Intervention (NCI) techniques;
- co-occurring disorders;
- effective written and verbal communication skills;
- documentation and record keeping;
- computer applications.
- develop cooperative and satisfactory contacts with patients, relatives, physicians, social agencies, community officials, and other administrative officials;
- apply proper interviewing techniques;
- write meaningful, concise, and accurate reports and correspondence;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse populations;
- communicate effectively with a wide variety of people;
- assess social service needs, complete psychosocial assessments and social histories, and identify programs or services sufficient to meet those needs;
- develop and implement effective therapy, treatment approaches and teaching curriculum;
- oversee treatment planning and programming;
- facilitate individual, group and family counseling and therapy;
- speak to groups;
- negotiate with various agencies;
- obtain reliable information;
- testify in mental health hearings as a Qualified Mental Health Professional;
- utilize various computer applications such as Outlook, Internet, Word and keyboarding.
This position works primarily Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. but may include occasional Sundays.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of a drug screening.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Apply at: https://sodakprod-lm01.cloud.infor.com:1443/lmghr/xmlhttp/shorturl.do?key=CDL
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Fax: 605.773.4344
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"