Posted on: February 25, 2020 • Category: Welding - Inspection
Weld Inspector I - 1st shift
- Minimum high school diploma or GED.
- Good knowledge of welding processes, layout and fitting, base metals, heat treatment, and weld testing.
- Must be able to read and interpret drawings, standard work instructions, checklist, internal and external deviations, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication with all levels of personnel within Manitou.
- Must have computer skills,
- Good analytical and reasoning skills required.
- Must exhibit physical abilities to lift 50 lbs., etc.
- Must be a self-starter, team player and have the ability to multitask.
This position will report to the Weld Supervisor with a dotted line to the quality department. Activities within this classification will include the inspection and testing of welded joints in progress and completed units for visible defects, correct dimensions, joint strength, bead formation, weld penetration and conformance with layout, blueprint and work order specifications.
This position will require the use, understanding and knowledge of weld principles, work instructions, checklists, measuring and test equipment and other inspection criteria.
Day-to-day activities will be assigned by Weld Supervisor. Quality issues/activities shall be directed thru the Quality Manager or appropriate Quality Engineer.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review the welding procedure specification and inspection requirements prior to welding.
- Prior to and during welding, verify that the specified base metal(s) and welding filler metal(s) are used.
- Verify that the specified joint preparation and fit-up used prior to welding.
- Monitoring and inspect all work performed by tackers and welders and/or welding operators.
- Inspect and evaluate welds according to specified inspection procedures, standards, codes and drawings.
- Record welding inspection results that were witnessed and prepare associated report.
- Record the condition of welds inspected on the appropriate checklist. Return completed checklists to QA on the agreed upon interval.
- Provide the appropriate feedback to supervision and/or management concerning product quality.
- Where appropriate and as directed, perform minor rework that is re-inspected and accepted.
- Other duties as assigned.